Pages

Thursday, August 28, 2014

Sleep, elusive sleep.

Eliza wakes up around 3:00AM every single day. She stopped for a while, and that was a glorious while... but for I don't know how many months now she's gone back to this 3:00AM wake up. I nurse her and she goes right back to sleep, but I'm not usually so lucky. It takes me an hour or so to get back to sleep, if I do at all. I've started several days the past few months at 3:00AM. It does not make me very happy. In fact I'm slowly losing my mind. So last night we came up with a plan. Aaron would go in and give her a bottle of formula at 11. She does go to bed early, her last feeding is usually around 6:30. So I don't blame her for being hungry at 3. That is 9 hours. So this plan sounded promising. Even if it only gave me another hour, starting my day at 4, as opposed to 3 is just much more doable. So all went according to plan. That is until the smoke detector of the devil decided its batteries needed to be changed at... guess what time. That's right. 3:00AM. On the flippety-flippin' dot. I could have cried. In fact I did cry. Until I laughed. And laughed. It wouldn't have been that big of a deal if it was one of the smoke detectors that was in a normal part of our house. But no, it was in our master bedroom that has vaulted ceilings, and the only way to reach it is with a ladder. So I had to wake up poor Aaron and he had the pleasure of also waking up at 3AM, going down to the garage and changing the batteries. As he was putting it back I'm pretty sure I heard him mumble, "I'd rather burn to death in a fire, than do that ever again."

Here's the ridiculous thing about that smoke detector, it has done this 3 times in the one year we have lived here! The first time was Aaron's very first night in this house. The next time was the only time in history my kids have every slept past 7:00AM. It is just an evil, evil defective smoke detector that we should destroy. (And then replace it, because I'm pretty sure Aaron didn't mean it about preferring to burn to death.)

So yes, another night where I was up at 3:00. And tossed and turned, until about 4:15. And guess what time Eliza woke up? 4:45. Then the rest of the crew was up at 6:30. And I'm just so tired.  I think that if my blog had a theme it would be that. Or traveling. Both common topics in my life. I just remind myself, someday I will sleep. It is crazy what sleep deprivation can do to one's mental health.

No comments:

Post a Comment