Pages

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Oscars in the background

Once my sister-in-law Molly told me a story that she was relaying from a teacher. It was probably four years ago. I don't remember the details of the story at all - something about a donkey with a lame foot. But the line at the end of the story has stuck with me all these years...

"He's just doing the best he can with what he's got."

Isn't that what we're all doing? I just looked around me today and saw all these families. All just trying to do the best they can. We don't all parent the same way. We don't all believe the same things. But we are all just trying to do the best we can with what we've got. 

I thought of people that I've been quick to judge. You know... random people... none of you reading of course.. ;)  ... but nonetheless, this thought always comes back to me. They are just trying to do the best they can with what they've got. I have 4 working legs so who I am to judge a fellow donkey who only has 3?  Or something like that.

And I think about it with myself. Some days my best is not my best on another day. I just have to do the best I can with what I've got that day. Some days I have a full nights sleep. Those days are better than ones when I'm struggling on just a few hours of sleep. 

I guess what I really want to say is - as Moms we are all in this together. Before we judge another mother no matter what her situation - we should remember she too is just trying to do the best she can with what she's got.

I don't know where I'm going with this. I just really love that image of a poor donkey doing the best he can with what he's got. I wish I could remember the rest of the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment