Pages

Saturday, January 30, 2010

And I thought yesterday was bad...

Olivia sucks at going to bed. Bedtime around here is a nightmare. It's frustrating because she was such a good sleeper for such a long time. Even when we first switched to the toddler bed she did great. Now she wants us to stay with her until she's asleep. This can take an hour. I'm sorry but I'm not willing to sit there for an hour every night until she's asleep! So we decided to try the Supernanny technique of just taking her by the hand and bringing her back to her bed without saying anything. We did this over 20 times last night, for almost an hour, and we gave up before she did. I know it eventually would have worked, but I couldn't see an end in sight. I decided to switch to Supernanny's other sleep technique of gradual seperation. Where I stand in her room without touching her or anything, just standing there until she falls asleep. It took 40 minutes of me standing in her room until she was asleep. This was starting to happen for the THIRD time last night when I finally just said we need to just lock her in her room. Doing that, she was asleep in 10 minutes. I think that's what we are going to do. She is safe in there. She has a night light. I think it's the only way she'll learn. She's been absolutely miserable during the days because she's been up so much at night.

Wanna know what else happened yesterday? Olivia got a peice of crayon stuck up her nose. WAY up her nose. Like I told Aaron we were going to have to go to urgent care to get it out, and he wanted to try his way first. He put his mouth over her nose and sucked as hard as he could. Several times. Made her blow her nose a few times. Sucked some more. And you know what... out popped the crayon. Later that day we found her trying to stick another crayon up her nose. We are done with crayons.

3 comments:

  1. We lock Ellie in her room too - it was the only way to get her to go to sleep (after months of trying other methods). So I think that's a good choice for some kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL The crayon incident was hilarious to read about! Especially the part on how Aaron got it out. Too funny!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw Lauren! I hope you and Olivia both get some sleep soon :(

    Also that crayon story was great! It's weird thinking what must go through kids brains. Why would anyone think to put a crayon in their nose?

    ReplyDelete