Pages

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Pay it Forward

So Aaron and I started an envelope budget, and with all our travels this month we were left with only 19 for groceries for the rest of the month. Well I thought $19, turns out we had $17. And I had been adding everything up as I put it in the cart. When I got to check out I explained to the teenager behind the register that I only had cash with me, and I had exactly $19, so I would give him the most important stuff first, and if I ran out of money I would put the rest of the stuff back. Well it came to exactly $18.53. So I counted out my money and I only had $17! The teenager was so sweet though. He said, "Hold on, let me see something." And he pushed a few buttons and it rang up $16.53! It seriously made me so happy. It's those little things. And then I went to Home Depot to see if they could mix some old paint for me that was purchased at K-Mart 3 years ago. I figured it would cost me at least a couple dollars, but they did it for free!! Another pleasant surprise!

Anyway then I was putting the paint in my trunk and I saw the fudgesicles I had just gotten at Frye's. I took one out to enjoy while driving home, and I noticed there was this lady fixing the Coke machine outside Home Depot. She had been there when I went in, and was still there when I went out, on a radio and looked really frustrated. I thought I could pay it forward and give her a fudgesicle. So I grabbed one and ran up to her and asked, "Hey wanna fudgesicle?" And she kind of snapped at me, "What?!" And I was like, "Well I just was about to have one myself, I just got them at the grocery store, and I noticed you must have been out here for a long time, and you look really hot, I thought it might cool you off." Then she smiled, and got teary eyed and told me I just made her day. It was fun, because someone had just made my day!

6 comments:

  1. Lauren. You are most likely the nicest person I have ever met! That was a good story.

    Also, you and Aaron should check out Mint.com, it's helpful with budgeting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so AWESOME! What an amazing example you are to all of us. O is so blessed to have such a good mommy. :)

    Also - to save you $$ on produce, check out www.bountifulbaskets.org I swear I save myself about $100-150 a month by not having to purchase produce from the grocery stores.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I swear you are the nicest person! you are always so thoughtful and sweet! I agree with the others - O is so blessed!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was awesome! You just gave me that "feel good inside" feeling. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're awesome! How nice to give and receive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You would do something like that! I always LoVe your stories! How was your first sunday?

    ReplyDelete