Pages

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Things that Inspire

I love the beginning of a new year. I like a fresh start. I like a chance to be better than I was before. I like having dates like January 1st to measure my progress by. I want to be a better mom. Some things on the internet contribute to that goal. Some things take away from it. I thought I'd share a few things that have inspired me lately.

I love this post. I love the way Lonica talks about being a Stay-At-Home Mom. She talked about teaching her barely 1 year old how to hold the dustpan while sweeping. I thought about how much easier it is to put my kids in front of the TV, rather than try to sweep with them "helping". Reading this I realized even those moments that will probably be forgotten are oh so important.

http://barefootinthekitchen.blogspot.com/2011/01/resolution.html <-- Stephanie reminds me that being a good mom isn't always about the cleanest house, and getting everything done, but enjoying the moments.

http://www.mormon.org/me/1JWZ-eng  <--- This video will make you bawl. This mother lost a 3 year old child. And she understood it was God's will. And she was so sad, but she accepted it. It is heart wrenching.

http://www.mormon.org/me/141P-eng <--- Mom of 2 kids with special needs. She's amazing. My favorite line is when she says, "I'm a mom, and I take my job very seriously."

Which got me thinking about taking my job as a mom seriously. Sometimes I don't think of it as a job at all. Sometimes I'm jealous Aaron gets to be going to school every day while I'm home dealing with stuff like this. But then I read posts like Lonica's and I realize what a blessing it really is to be home with these kids. I have a degree in Special Education. I could be working every day. Maybe I'd make a dent in the student loans are taking out. But I don't want anyone else raising my kids. I may not be the best mom. I make a lot of mistakes. But I'm learning. Maybe by baby number 6 I'll have it figured it out. (Yes I still want 6 babies, someone get my head examined.) In the meantime, I'm working on it. And loving it. And my number 1 New Year's Resolution is to take my job as a mom more seriously.

3 comments:

  1. Lauren, I love reading your blog because it makes me appreciated all those little moments in my life. I wish you'd been around when my little ones were littler. :) Be grateful for the love and support that you get from Aaron. You are very lucky (even when you don't feel like it.) All moms know what you're talking about and can understand how you feel. But, in line with this post, Lauren, you inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A bit late, but... thanks for the nice mention. I'm glad you liked my post. I sure like being a Stay-At-Home mom!

    ReplyDelete